I shall be reviewing the amazing MAC Fluidline Brow Gelcreme in Deep Dark Brunette. As an answer to the Anastasia Beverly Hills Brow Pomade, MAC made a gel creme that could be amazing to fill the brows and shape them up. Since recent times 'BROWS' have got a special importance in makeup and however overrated it is, the brows are what makes the makeup look complete and amazing. Amidst the brow pencils, brow gels and brow mascaras, finally comes a product that can give you even more precise application without too much of pain and building and get you water resistant (sweat) brows every time and every day.
MAC's Fluidline formula has been a cult favorite and in the past I have seen and heard from many makeup artists on filling the brows with the traditional fluidline. Being a gel liner, this one is really malleable and does a good job in brow definition and thence the thought process behind developing a brow gel creme liner was an excellent idea. And there are cons to this too. Lets get to know them somewhere in the article below.
Have a look...........................................................
Long wearing waterproof gel in a pot for giving precise definition to the brows. Applies smoothly, sets quickly for the ultimate well groomed brow. Fills, lengthens and shapes for a subtle to dramatic look.
This is the quintessential classic minimalistic black box packaging with the product inside it. All the ingredients are written on the box and MAC does not bother to write the description of the product and what the product does on the box.
The jar is a small dense glass jar which holds the product. Since creme gel based products are hand poured or machine poured and dried in the jar, the size and quantity may vary (especially if it is hand poured). The glass jar is almost clear to see the color and has the description of its color written on the base....here it being 'Deep Dark Brunette' for someone with darker brows.
A small tip - if you have the darkest hair on the planet, do not try to match the color of your brows with the color of your hair. This will make you look like Maleficent. Instead color them 2-3 shades lighter and also sometimes a minuscule red nuance in the brow color may help cut the starkness of the black.
Deep Dark Brunette Gel Creme is a fluidy, jelly like product that is moderately pigmented, glides like a jelly, dries very fast and stays put for the longest, although I cannot say it is waterproof as the swatch was easily washed with water. The gel really dries fast...faster than the fast. I felt the gel texture to a bit hard when dried and not very waxy as it is supposed to be. This is a harmless disadvantage as it has some subjective errs to make too. I suggest one has to be pretty fast in doing their brows when using this product as it almost dries before you dip your brush again.
The gelcreme sets into a matte semi-opaque color that does last well. One must render caution with the amount of product that goes on the brows as too much of product and there are 2 hard plastic brows that would not understand emotional stress. So using very very little amounts of product is advisable and fortunately the formula is buildable and does not crack like their permanent Fluidlines.
The Deep Dark Brunette is a dark brown with a lot of red in it to cut through the greys of a darker brow. Indians having thicker brows that the rest can opt this color as it helps balance their brows beautifully. If you are medium to darker in complexion and have dark brown to ebony hair, then this happens to be the perfect color for you. It is bit 'too' red and may look weirdly stark on the brows which is why I add a bit of grey pencil to almost neutralize the color (idea of a PRO).
- The most suggest brush for a product like this is an angled brush, especially the one that MAC makes. Its insanely precise and applies a gel liner or a brow product very very beautifully.
- I use Shiseido Angled liner/brow brush and a Kryolan angled brush to apply the brow gel. When the Shiseido brush is smaller and precise, the Kryolan one is long and makes wider strokes.
- This is my secret since I have really thick brows. I use a disposable mascara wand from Chanel (rather than those waste of their kind mascara spoolie brushes) to comb through my brows immediately to disperse the formula better.
- I reapply 2-3 times with a minuscule amount of product to have a better control and precision of the brows. The first application is for drawing the brow shape. The second is for filling the gaps and creating the shape. The third usually is for final touch ups. And this is how the brow looks.
- One must remember that the camera catches the 'red' from the formula very well (with flash) thence the product may look different on different brow colorings. You can add a bit of Black Track to balance the red and add depth to the color which I do at times.
PRICE AND AVAILABILITY
MAC Fluidline Brow Gel Creme is available in 4-5 colors in varying coloring and intensity and can be bought from authentic selected MAC outlets and stores in India. They retail for 1350 INR (the new pricing) and run out from the shelves very very fast. This is one product that does a great job to create the brows that you ever wanted. I'd suggest to consult the MAC Artist in the store before getting your perfect color.
Hope you liked the quick review. Do let me know the comments section - How do you do your brows?
Please do not copy any pictures or content of Beauty Traveller without prior permission. Thanks for reading my blog. I don't give 100% on the authenticity of the content here and it is subject to change without prior notice. Please read the disclaimer for any questions.